Re: Engine replacement options (non-MG)?

To: "Der schwarze Buccaneer" <js-allen@students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: Engine replacement options (non-MG)?
From: "Tyson Sherman" <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 19:40:39 -0600

>       I've never been in a new MGB (or one with a 'new' engine), so I'm
> basically unfamiliar with this firsthand.  Frankly, you're the first
> person has ever told me MGB's are reliable.  Everyone else I've ever
> talked to has said, "Yeah I (or someone 'I' knew) had one, but I sold it
> because it was always breaking down." <snip>

Of course MGBs can be reliable.  I put atleast 100mi a week on my 76,
driving it to school & back (70 miles) atleast once a week.

<snip>
> never seeing it again, so I'm trying to find a fix that will give me
> dependability and a certain amount of economy.  I truly thought that's
> what I'd get with a rebuilt American motor (and what I wouldn't get by
> putting lots more in the current engine).

A rebuilt MGB engine can be purchased from around $1800 (give or
take some).  Converting to a foreign engine will probably cost less,
but will be much more difficult...you'll be doing a lot of fabricating
to the car, etc.  Plus resale value, should you ever sell it, would
go down I would imagine.

>       You're right, of course.  I guess a different engine wouldn't change
> the fact that I'd have to order some parts.  I was thinking of things
> like water pumps, though.  I've had one go on the MGB, and I was down for

> quite a while.  But, that was before I knew of Victoria or Moss.  But the

> economy thing still is pretty important.  Looking in my JC Whitney I see
> engine rebuild kits for several engines ranging from $130 to $230, which
> includes gaskets, rings, pistons, and bearings.  For my 'B, Moss wants
> $250, just for the pistons alone.  <snip>

Special Interest Car Parts wants $300 for an engine rebuild kit...the
typical
replacement parts required.

Tyson Sherman