Re: Engine replacement options (non-MG)?

To: Der schwarze Buccaneer <js-allen@students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: Engine replacement options (non-MG)?
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 21:06:16 -0800
Der schwarze Buccaneer wrote:

>         You're right, of course.  I guess a different engine wouldn't change
> the fact that I'd have to order some parts.  I was thinking of things
> like water pumps, though.  I've had one go on the MGB, and I was down for
> quite a while.  But, that was before I knew of Victoria or Moss.  But the
> economy thing still is pretty important.  Looking in my JC Whitney I see
> engine rebuild kits for several engines ranging from $130 to $230, which
> includes gaskets, rings, pistons, and bearings.  For my 'B, Moss wants
> $250, just for the pistons alone.  I'm probably unaware of other factors,
> but you can see where I get my impression about the relative economy of a
> different engine.

        Not to jump on either side of this volley of internal combustion
ideologies,
but Scott is right when it all comes down to it.  My Dad and I are rebuilding
his
2.5liter D*dge engine over my X-mas break, and he was able to order a
performance
rebuild kit for $200.  New pistons, rings, performance cam, etc...  Considering
complete rebuild for my MG engine with like parts would run me almost $800, the
D*dge
looks pretty nice...It would also be nice to run an MG with a small chevy
six-cylinder, so one could have complete catalogues of performance parts to
chose
from.
        Trevor, you have had a few good points too.  A running MGB engine with
80,000mi on the clock would last a few years, and wouldn't cost too much.
Plus, a
swap wouldn't only be an engine and tranny.  You'd have to swap all the
ancillaries,
work the wiring to fit the new parts, blah, blah, blah.  It's also possible to
get
into more than you could imagine, like cutting a firewall, or cutting and
welding the
front crossmember, just to name two.
        I hate to be a hypocrite, since I believe in customizing your car as
much as
you see fit, but it is a good idea to keep your car as original as possible.  I
don't
feel too bad about pulling the emissions off to make my car run better (not
cleaner).
 But, an engine swap probably wouldn't be reversible, unlike my emissions.  I
can
always bolt my air pump back on, but pulling another engine to put the original
back
in would be something only a brave individual could undertake.  Just ask the
guy who
owns the MGA with the Chevy 2.5 in it, he's trying to put some MG soul into it,
and
it looks like a big job.  But, that's my opinion.  No matter what you do, enjoy
your
car today, you never know what will happen tomorrow.
--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College