Re: MIG Welders

To: MGMagnette@aol.com
Subject: Re: MIG Welders
From: Vallely <vallely@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 23:33:08 -0500
MGMagnette@aol.com wrote:

>    I am interested in purchasing a MIG welder, need to know:
> 1)Brand
> 2)Model
> 3)Cost
> 4)Where to buy
>
>   My Magnette will be in one piece soon!
>
>     John
John--
I'm rewriting a note that I don't think went out successfully yesterday.
If you did get it, excuse the replay.
I've been happy with the Lincoln Weldpak 100 with gas hook-up that I got
at Home Depot last spring for about $350 plus $90 for the gas equip.
Another $100 for a tank. I use Argon/co2 in spite of the recomendation
to use straight co2.
If I had it to do over, I might go the extra $150 or so and get the
Weldpak 155 that uses 240v. On the other hand, mine has been fully
adequate for extensive frame and body repair on my mga.
In my opinion, you'd do well to:
-Pay more for a reputable make
-Use shielding gas vs. self-shielding wire
-Get the highest amp output you can afford
-Get a rig with a tip that has no current till the trigger is pulled
You'll enjoy it.
Good luck.
John Vallely