Re: MIG Welders

To: mts3@ra.msstate.edu
Subject: Re: MIG Welders
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 20:08:08 EST
On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 19:33:35 -0600 Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
writes:
>Hello list,
>
>I'm again in the market for a MIG welder.  I think I'm really going to
>buy one soon.  Considering the price of bodywork for just one of my
>MGs
>is $450 and I have more than one car, it would be better to buy one.
>
>I shopped locally.  One place said they have a Lincoln MIG for around
>$600.  Another has a Miller MIG for around $700.  Another has a
>Century
>MIG for $393.
>
>Considering the first two are out of my price range, I looked up the
>Century on the internet.  Here's a page with the specs, and the prices
>are similar:
>
>http://brwelder.com/century/cent100.htm
>
>If anyone has experience with this model, or tips, could you please
>share?  I'm new to welding but am willing to learn.  My 76 B, 74.5 GT,
>and 73 Midget all need welding done, so it would make sense to buy one
>rather than pay a slow, reluctant bodyshop.
>
>Thanks!
>
>--
>Tyson Sherman
>mts3@ra.msstate.edu
>ICQ# 10494960
>http://www.tecinfo.com/~tsherman

Tyson,
Why buy a new one? - our "bargain news" here in CT has literally dozens
of second hand ones for sale every week - im sure theres a similar
publication near you.
Another caveat - and this is from somebody who has tried welding
precicely twice!!!
(so YMMV)
WELDING IS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT!! - practice on scrap metal a lot before
you start on your cars

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT