Re: Handling

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Handling
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 99 09:35:52 PST
Geeze, I must be behind the e-mail curve a bit.  Last thing I'd
read was more good info from Kelvin (which got me thinking about
all the folks out there who want a better handling MG, but need
some ground level advice), and now all you guys are really getting
into some in depth info!

My own experiences echo the oft told MGB tale:  stiff front, soft
rear.  I've still got both front and rear sway bars on a lowered
(ex) RB car, however the rear bar is very soft.  The front 3/4" bar
rides in urethane, the rear is still in mushy rubber.  Rear suspension
twiddling is on the list.

I've also got a bit of negative camber (can't remember exactly how much,
it's in the suspenion log somewhere), and I run 0 toe.  Presently my 'B's
suspension is in a state of flux---I'm playing with things that will
become more important with V-8 power.

Since the present audience seems to be very experienced MGers, here's
on for all you go fast guys:  has anyone entered a 'B's suspension into
one of those computer suspension tuning packages?  It'd be great to have
such a model to play with.

And one last thing that applies to both newbies and experienced folks
alike:  one MGB suspension problem I've noticed is that the lower inner
bolts that hold the pivot to the crossmember tend to rattle loose.

All this stuff needs to be compiled into an MGB racer's suspension tuning
and opinion guide.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.TeamSanctuary.com/