Re: Handling

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Handling
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 21:46:48 +0000
I have been tidying up a little of the mechanics before a soon to be
reported upon LONG drive that I will be undertaking.  I am getting some
new tires and I have been hunting down some spares (yes, I am fixing the
busted spokes on the spare wheel also)... this list has had some
excellent advice on this in the past!  Yes, I do have a mobile phone and
roadside assistance membership.

To ease some of the strain on the beast I have been thinking of the
"handling" thread and really 'feeling' for any potential problems as I
drive lately.  I have decided that new bushes for the front suspension
are required (and *will* be going V8 plus sway bar).  I believe the rear
is fine but gave myself another fright yesterday when the back end
suddenly felt extremely LOOSE and was bouncing all over the place.  Hard
cornering spun the inside wheel and was, basically, awful.

Then I realised it... I had taken the spare wheel out to fit in a
lawnmower I had hired for an afternoon and hadn't put the wheel back
yet!

What a HUGE difference there was with just that little bit of weight
taken off the back end!  Does anyone do any fine-tuning with sandbags???

Eric
'68MGB MkII