Re: Handling

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Handling
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 10:41:02 -0500
Wow, a 6 lb battery that stores enough energy to start an lbc. I'd love to
have one of those (ever drop a battery while installing it in the back of
the engine compartment of a spridget?). I'd guess that batteries are more
like 15-20 lbs. An important consideration in the case of a spridget is
that the moment arm is being changed. That is, mass is being moved from
well in front of the rear axle (way up in the engine compartment) to behind
the rear axle. However, in the case of a B, isn't the battery (ies) behind
the seats? Thus, the mass is only moving from just in front of the rear
axle to just behind. I too am amazed that this makes a differentce in
handling.

Jeff

> Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 18:53:46 -0800
> From: "Lawrie  Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
>
> Michael.........
>
> Can you be serious? Moving the battery (which weighs what, six pounds or
> so?) makes a noticeable difference in handling?
>
> If your car is set up that sensitively, I presume you fill up with gas every
> time you've used one gallon? After all, since the B takes 12 gallons or so
> the difference in rear end weight (and the tank is about as far back as one
> can go in a B) between an almost empty tank and a full one must really screw
> up your car's handling!
>
> Lawrie

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision