Re: MG's & Cell Phones

To: Tomsjetta@aol.com
Subject: Re: MG's & Cell Phones
From: dwilkins@wcta.net (Don Wilkins)
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 11:24:25 GMT
On Sun, 12 Sep 1999 01:45:44 EDT, you wrote:

>I'm one of those people who  despise cell phones almost as much as SUV's.
>However, breaking down on some remote country road without a payphone
>anywhere in sight also does not appeal to me. Soo, I am "casually"
>considering getting a cell phone just in case the car dies on me and I'm not
>left for dead somewhere. Also, I drive from CT to Lancaster County, PA to
>visit my in-laws once every so often, and anyone who drives 78 past Allentown
>knows this is a pretty remote stretch or road, so perhaps this device may
>come in handy there as well.
I also hate these phones when people have one stuck in their ear while
driving.

I carry one on trips but never activated it Hence no charges. Go to a
pawn shop and you can pick them up very cheap.

All cell phones are supposed to be able to dial 911 without being
activated. Try it and when you hear the ring you know you have a
working model. Hang up after the first ring.

You now have an emergency phone and the cost is very low.

>Anyone else here acquire a cell phone for similar purposes? Has it proven
>worthwhile? Should I bother or is this something I can do without? I'm being
>especially cautious, I'm afraid I'll get one and the next thing I know
>there'll be a GMC Yukon in my driveway.

My daughter has carried one (activated) ever since she needed to
commute to a job. She has used it on occasion and been damned glad she
had it.