Re: MG's & Cell Phones

To: Tomsjetta@aol.com
Subject: Re: MG's & Cell Phones
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 10:57:05 EDT
Tom,
  Cell phones are really just little low-powered radios that link to
towers that are within four or five miles or less.   If you are buying
one for this purpose, check carefully the "service area" of the various
vendors.  See if you can get a guarantee from the one you select that if
the phone doesn't make connections in the specified area you can return
it for full credit.
  I switched from SNET to Bell Atlantic when I found (this was five years
back) that SNET did not really have coverage on 395 from Waterford-Mass
line, even though their map showed that they did have it.
  Few things are as annyoing as an emergency tool that fails in an
emergency.
Bob