Re: MG's & Cell Phones

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG's & Cell Phones
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 18:47:01 +0000
Tom wrote:

> I'm one of those people who  despise cell phones almost as much as
> SUV's. However, breaking down on some remote country road without a
> payphone anywhere in sight also does not appeal to me. Soo, I am
> "casually" considering getting a cell phone just in case the car
> dies on me and I'm not left for dead somewhere.

<snip>

> Anyone else here acquire a cell phone for similar purposes? Has it
> proven worthwhile?

Well, as one of those people who must be in contact and contactable
whenever possible I could not be without my mobile phone.  I look after
a 24/7 tech. support team for an ISP with some very large corporate
customers who could lose big bucks if they are offline for any decent
amount of time.  Yes, ill-advisably (don't do this at home... I am a
trained professional) I have talked some people through some complicated
technical procedures whilst travelling down some long and picturesque
freeways at speed.

I have also used this same mobile to call for rescue when my 'B was far
less strong and reliable.  A blown alternator and burned out headlights
are two incidents which come readily to mind.  Both late at night and in
the pouring rain.  The 'B may not be the most waterproof little car but
it was certainly better sitting waiting in it than walking miles to the
nearest phone getting soaked!

I am not sure what the situation is like in America but in Australia you
need to check that your mobile phone company/network reliably covers the
areas you frequent.  In Australia the coverage for one company in a
remote area may be non-existant or just VERY poor - while the guy next
to you sits prattling on his phone all day, you get dropouts or nothing.

Essential... maybe.  Convenient... definitely.

Eric
'68MGB MkII

PS ... if you use the phone often enough you might experience even more
driver's side droop than previously as your brain swells with every call
:-)