Re: OD Lube

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <Lundgren@iname.com>
Subject: Re: OD Lube
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:15:27 -0700
I see I have failed to convince you of the superiority of Red Line MTL,
Bill and I can argue this one at the ABFM on Saturday, but I know there
is no point in doing that.  If I had a spare OD tranny lying around
(that I had personally rebuilt) I'd give it to him with MT-90 in it to
try in his next race!

If you choose to run motor oil for some crazy reason in your daily
driver, run the HD type.  Non-detergent oils are for purposes other than
putting in engines (or transmissions, I feel), like in oil cans for
lubricating your bike chain, or you could use ND 20 in your SU
dashpots.  I have used ND 30 oil in newly rebuilt engines for the first
500 miles, its inferior lubrication qualities are supposed to help the
rings seat, but I don't know that it really makes any difference.

The detergent in HD oils is for suspending the particles generated by
combustion and preventing the formation of sludge in engines.  BUT, oils
that meet the current SAE standards are not only all HD, but have
additive packages for anti foaming, corrosion resistance, and pressure
breakdown prevention that the basic ND oils may not have.  The detergent
won't hurt anything in the tranny, and you are getting a better additive
package with a modern HD oil.

I'll bet you will get easier shifting too, but not as easy as with Red
Line MTL! ;-)

--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle