Re: OD Lube

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>
Subject: Re: OD Lube
From: "Richard A. Boris" <borisri@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 00:00:01 +0100
Hi everyone:

I have been working with O/D units, especially "D" types for years, and
you should use 30W non-detergent oils. The reason is very simple, the
O/D hydraulic system runs nominaly at 400 lbs, competition anywhere up
to 600 lbs.Oils that contain detergents cause excessive foaming (air
bubbles) in the hydraulic system. The bubbles cause chatter of the cone
clutch thus resulting in premature wear. The chatter also impacts the
stability of the planetary gear system, again causing premature wear of
the gear bearings.Worn gear bearing then wear out the annulus ring gear,
and so forth. I have also experienced similar foaming/chatter conditions
with aircraft hydraulic systems.

                Maintain O/D life, use 30W ND oils.  Rich Boris 67B Roadster