Re: OD Lube

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>
Subject: Re: OD Lube
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:23:18 -0700
Andrew,

Either HD 30, 20w-50, or Red Line MTL will work.  MT-90 is physically
thicker and I wouldn't use it except under racing conditions where the
heat will thin it enough for the pump to pump it and for it bleed out
when the OD is switched off.

If you use motor oil, I recommend you change it every 20,000 miles.  I
did this on my '65 for the first 150,000 on that OD, and I will change
Red Line every 50,000 miles.  So, either method will provide very good
longevity, I just like the smoother shifting with the MTL too much to go
back to motor oil.

The "stiff shifting" on a new box is simply because MOTOR OIL IS TOO
SLIPPERY FOR THE SYNCROS, and they have to be forced against the gears
much harder to bite and stop their spinning.  After you have worn them
down a bit there is more surface area to grab with, so, change your oil
after the first 5000 miles to get rid of all the break-in detritus.  Red
Line gives the sycros the proper bite with its additive package.

Remember that when these cars were built the only choices for the tranny
were hypoid gear oil (very thick) and ND motor oil.  We have more
options in the year 2000, including far superior motor oil.

(On a related note, I use MT-90 in my Vanagon, which is a notoriously
stiff shifter, and it reduced the shifting effort to an amazing degree,
especially on winter mornings when I was sure I was going to break the
shifter off trying to get into first gear.)

To summarize, my reason for using MTL is not for any benefit in
particular for the OD, but for the shifting (i.e., syncros), and
superior lubrication over time that only a synthetic can provide.  I
just don't want to harm the OD, and after 50,000 miles my inspection of
the friction linings showed that I have not.

Stay tuned, I'll report on my 100,000 mile Red Line MTL experience with
both the D and LH type overdrives, but it probably won't be for about 10
years!  And who knows, maybe I'll salvage that '68 parts car and start
racing it--then I'll test my MT-90 theory!

--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia