Re: Okay, so no one watched the race...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Okay, so no one watched the race...
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 16:20:59 -0500
I never got into auto racing. The most widely televised racing in the US are
NASCAR and Indycar (Oh, and NASCAR Truck, for when Nascar isnt sexy enough,
lets change the body shell to look vaguely like a truck).

The problem is, "Drive Fast, Turn Left" bores the crap out of me. The
technique is so ingrained they dont talk about passing on the left or the
right, it's inside and outside.

We really arent exposed to much racing in the F1 tradition, so, just as
there are Americans crazy about soccer (or football, or futbol,
whatever) when the rest of the country (me included) yawns, there's only a
small percentage that really gets into F1.

I did read an article in the Latest WIRED magazine about the inner workings
of F1, from a guy who hung around Team McLaren and their finnish driver
who's name I cant pronounce. It was intriguing, I had planned to watch a bit
this weekend, but got tied up working on the house.

I just think American abivalence to F1 comes from the fact that most people
think that auto racing begins and ends at the oval track. No offense to
Nascar fans, if that flips your switch, more power to ya, but it bores me,
and pretty much every single person I know, to tears.

| Chris Thompson                                      ct@cthompson.com |
| 1973 MGB                                    http://cthompson.com/mg/ |