Re: Okay, so no one watched the race...

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Subject: Re: Okay, so no one watched the race...
From: James Nazarian Jr <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 18:12:54 -0700
I don't know if this was any reason for the FIA to force competitors to go to
groved tires, but slicks also have the effect of compressing the air that hits
the lower protion of the tire and forcing it under the tread.  Given the right
circumstances, this will cause a pocket of air under the tire and it will lose
contact with the ground (same as hydroplaning but on air).  So whether
inteneded or not, it makes a difference aerodynamically since the preasurized
air can now pass through the groves and not between tire and road.  I've never
heard the real 'official' reason for the groved tires but I wouldn't be
surprised if this lifting effect got mentioned while they were discussing
groves.

I know that the wings/body deflect the air in normal conditions, but what about
1. loosing a front wing, 2. car getting turned around backwards, these two
cases would be ones when that lifting effect may cause problems.  Just a
thought,  since if I knew this stuff for sure I'd probably be working for some
of these guys.
--
James Nazarian Jr
71 MGB roadster

A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have
   evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.