Re: Okay, so no one watched the race...

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Okay, so no one watched the race...
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 19:50:23 -0500
Max Heim wrote:

> My objection to NASCAR, in particular, and increasingly to F1, is that it
> seems to be oriented to spectacle rather than racing, and appears to be
> massively micro-managed by the governing body in a totally arbitrary
> fashion. Both organizations can, and do, determine winners and losers (and
> cheaters) by selective enforcement and non-enforcement of arcane and
highly
> technical rules. In both circuits top speed and cornering performance are
> limited by rulemakers rather than by the limits of automotive technology;
> engine displacement, weight or size limits; designer ingenuity; team
> budgets; or driver skill.

I can't say I agree Max.  The FIA rule changes (the only form of motorsport
I really watch with much anticipation is F1) actually increase innovation!
Just look at the many varieties of front wings present in the Aus GP this
year, very few alike.

Personally, I agree with how FIA goes about attempting to slow the cars down
by taking away some of their advantages.  Grooved tyres are a pretty nifty
idea, and the fact each tyre gained an extra groove this year was clearly
mitigated by the fact the cars were still 3 seconds a lap quicker than last
years Aus GP qualifying times!  If the rules were to be opened more, we
would see the teams with more resources DOMINATE the top end with no chance
for the small teams without the capability to spend millions for
experimental development work into the extremes of technology.

I also would have to say that having FIA double the side impact load
specifications for the 2001 F1 season probably saved J.Villeneuve's life the
other day.  The side pod widening and strengthening also has had a marked
difference in the way each team has gone about shaping the rear of their
side pods for aerodynamic efficiency.

I think it is time we see a change in engine format.  Lets drop the V10 and
go for lets say inline 5s with a displacement of 2L, that should probably be
enough to shake up the standings and see some teams switch places in future
championships.

I'm not for traction control, only because I think this is something that
should be governed by driver skill.  HOWEVER, if it is nearly impossible to
restrict teams from using any time of traction control a standard must be
set for the legal use of traction control to at least give an even
opportunity to each team.

Rule changes and regulations are good.

Kai