Re: Okay, so no one watched the race...

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Okay, so no one watched the race...
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 15:10:58 -0800
Just to input a different viewpoint to this discussion...

My objection to NASCAR, in particular, and increasingly to F1, is that it
seems to be oriented to spectacle rather than racing, and appears to be
massively micro-managed by the governing body in a totally arbitrary
fashion. Both organizations can, and do, determine winners and losers (and
cheaters) by selective enforcement and non-enforcement of arcane and highly
technical rules. In both circuits top speed and cornering performance are
limited by rulemakers rather than by the limits of automotive technology;
engine displacement, weight or size limits; designer ingenuity; team
budgets; or driver skill.

I don't know what the answer is -- obviously the days of truly unlimited
racing are long gone, never to return -- but when you get to the point of
tacking boards onto the bottom of multi-million dollar machines, and
grooving the tires in defiance of all motor racing experience -- it makes me
want to go watch a Formula Ford race.

We seem to have gotten completely away from the idea of designing cars to a
simple rule, lining them up, and seeing who's the quickest.

Totally IMO, of course...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149