Re: update: leaky mgb & coolant plug

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: update: leaky mgb & coolant plug
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:40:04 -0800
Did you replace this one yourself recently? Once they've been in there a
while they don't usually come loose.

I would get a new one -- the old one is probably distorted by now. Don't use
any sealant on the freeze plug -- the whole idea is that the metal-to-metal
contact "locks" it into place. If the hole in the block is particularly
corroded and rough around the edges, I suppose there might be a problem
getting the plug to stay put, because if you remove too much metal cleaning
it up the plug won't fit tight. If there is a small scratch or chink you
could fill it with the hard-setting gasket goo, but the plug itself needs to
be a tight fit.

I saw your other question, about the radiator pressure cap... I don't know
what the spec is for a '72, but it's hard to believe 14 lbs. would be enough
to blow the plug. But the cap could be faulty (becoming effectively an
infinite-lb cap), so I'd replace it, with one of the original rating.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

///