Re: update: leaky mgb & coolant plug

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: update: leaky mgb & coolant plug
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 07:38:11 -0800
Well, like I said, it should be metal-to-metal. If you want to use some
*hard-setting* gasket compound around the rim, on the *outside*, I don't see
how that would hurt (well, it might if you let the block freeze). But don't
use flexible gasket goo or silicone sealer. It can't hold under heat and
pressure -- it will just lubricate the thing into popping off again. This
isn't an analogous situation to, say, a thermostat housing, where you put a
bead of sealer all around the surface -- the thermostat housing is clamped
down onto the sealer with three studs -- the freeze plug is holding itself
in by friction and deformation stress.

Max  (BTDT, blew the plug on I-80 on a Friday night, did the 2-mile sneaker
boogie to the only parts store still open in Fairfield, hammered it in with
the tools in the car, still made it to Dunsmuir that night... no, it wasn't
MY car... my erstwhile roomie was the DPO with the Form-A-Gasket fetish).

on 1/10/02 5:14 PM, Dan Hackney at dhh2c@cms.mail.virginia.edu wrote:

> What are the expert opinions on whether to use sealant or not and
> what type?
>
> -Dan
> 1972 MGB

///