Re: update: leaky mgb & coolant plug

To: dhh2c@cms.mail.virginia.edu
Subject: Re: update: leaky mgb & coolant plug
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:56:41 -0500
Dan,
  In the perfect world, welsh (freeze) plugs in the block are sealed with
a tiny bit of permatex and punched into place forever.  In the less
perfect world in which we live, we find the seats for the plugs are often
eroded, the plugs not quite round, and any other number of possibilities
for trouble.
  One of the leading MG shops around here scrubs the holes with brake
cleaner, then dries with compressed air, then mixes a dab of five-minute
epoxy, smears it around the seat, then punches in the plug. It seemed
drastic to me, but the wrench explains that if you ever have to remove
the plug again, the epoxy will chip out (it doesn't get a great bond,
apparently) and that the stuff holds quite well until it's necessary to
remove it.
Bob

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list