Re: update: leaky mgb & coolant plug

To: Rick Brown <mgrick@mgcars.org.uk>
Subject: Re: update: leaky mgb & coolant plug
From: Dan Hackney <dhh2c@cms.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 20:14:15 -0500
> I wouldn't attempt to reuse the plug - get a new one they are
cheap - when
> you put it in you have to hit it with a hammer to dimple the plug
which
> expands it against the block holding it in place.
>
> Rick

I wouldn't either after this afternoon.  I stuck it back in there and
it began to seep coolant around the bottom of the plug.  Then, the
sucker wouldn't come out so I had to drill a hole in it and pull with
a piece of stiff wire.

Four out of four auto parts houses in Chapel Hill were either out of
stock or didn't carry 1-5/8" disk type freeze plug.  I'll go get one
in Siler City tomorrow.

What are the expert opinions on whether to use sealant or not and
what type?

-Dan
1972 MGB

///