update: leaky mgb & coolant plug

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: update: leaky mgb & coolant plug
From: Dan Hackney <dhh2c@cms.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:29:16 -0500
I posted several days ago about some leak problems I was having on
my '72 B that is just now running again after strip down for engine
rebuild and body restoration.

I fixed all the brake line leaks.  After fiddling with them for
awhile I realized that if you push the pipe squarely into the brass
dist. block while tightening the union, the pipes tend to leak less.
After experimenting with different torques, all unions are leak free
and the brakes are excellent.

I tried the same method on the oil cooler lines, and this seemed to
work until I went driving today and they started leaking again.  How
tight should these fittings be?  The mating faces are clean and and
square against each other, I'm a bit stumped here...

Anyway, I went for a 3-4 mile drive this morning to test the car.  It
drives wonderfully.  As I'm sure many of you have experienced before
me, there is much satisfaction in finally driving a car you've put so
many hours into.  All seemed well until right when I pulled into the
garage, and lots of steam started pouring out of the engine
compartment.

The middle coolant plug on the dizzy side of the engine had blown out
of its hole, sending coolant all over my beautiful engine bay, arghh.

Why would this happen?  Faulty installation?   Can I just clean it up
and reinstall?  What type of sealant should I use?

-Dan H.
1972 MGB

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list