Re: update: leaky mgb & coolant plug

To: "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: update: leaky mgb & coolant plug
From: "British Sportscar Center" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:08:24 -0800
Bob,

I hope you live somewhere where it nevver gets really, really cold! One of
the purposes of freeze plugs (as I'm sure you know) is to be the "weakest
link" in the event of the coolant in the block freezing. If the plugs are
epoxied in place, they may be reluctant to pop out under pressure from the
expanded, frozen coolant, resulting in the problem they were supposed to
prevent - a crack somewhere in the block.

In my shop, we clean the holes where the plugs go, scrape the 90-degree
angle as smooth as possible with the sharp edge of a straight-blade
screwdriver, apply a small smear of clear silicone sealer into the angle,
then install the plugs and flatten them by holding one ball-pein hammer on
the plug and hitting it with another hammer. (This latter step to avoid
missing the plug and hitting the block, which makes future installations
more difficult once the hole is no longer round!). The silicone sealer fills
the tiny crevices but does not form a permanent bond. Careful flattening of
the plug, rather than smashing a great big dent in the middle, spreads the
sideways load to make the plug hold itself into place.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center