Re: Hobby in decline?

To: "Lambdin, Mike" <mlambdin@towson.edu>, "Bullwinkle" <yd3@nvc.net>,
Subject: Re: Hobby in decline?
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 13:23:23 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Lambdin, Mike" <mlambdin@towson.edu>
To: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>; "Bullwinkle"
<yd3@nvc.net>; "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 1:00 PM

> All this talk about the "younger generation" and what they
> do, or do not, appreciate is certainly debatable.

   Please note that my post didn't poopoo the younger members
of our society.  In fact, I related them to ourselves when we baby-
boomers were their age.

> ...But when I drive onto campus in my '59 MGA or '52 Jag
> XK-120 heads turn. The "kids" frequently stop in the parking
> lot to look the cars over and ask about them.

   Exactly.  When i drive my '79 Ferrari 308GTB ANYWHERE it
gets attention -- not from girls as the fable goes but from teenage
boys.
I think you are on to something.  You have to know something exists
before you generate a desire for it.  Most of the people I know, young
or old, don't have Ferraris because they don't have the imagination
to know that they CAN have one.

> So many younger folks, these days, are a part of the computer
> gadget generation and have never been exposed to a socket
> wrench or a timing light.

   So true.  This is analogous to the Internet/WWW replacing Amateur
or CB radio.  It's just so in-your-face easy.  These guys, God love 'em,
are more likely to see one of our classic or exotic cars on their PDAs
than in real life.

BEst,

rick