RE: Hobby in decline?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Hobby in decline?
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 13:44:04 -0500
> If the hobby is truly falling off its last leg, why aren't
> parts companies
> closing in droves?  When I was in High School, the cool

Indeed.  Didn't the last issue of the Moss magazine mention that even with a
'down' economy, people are actually spending more money on the LBCs?

> I think the best way to get some young blood in the hobby is
> to have car
> shows where they get to drive the vehicles.  This is what the

Was at an air show this weekend where the local EAA folks would give free
rides to kids to get them interested.

It's understandable that not everyone is going to subject their pride and
joy to a crumbsnatcher that's going to be kicking his dirty shoes on all the
panels.  But I suspect every group has one or more less than perfect cars
where the owners wouldn't mind.

I fell into the hobby because my older brother had a '74 B.  It was a real
pile by the time he was through with it.  I thought it would be neat to
restore it, but it just wasn't worth it.  So while still 15, my dad and I
found a '79 B, and we bought it (this was 1989).  I joined the local club
and participated in their events.  A few high school friends frequently
participated as well.  While there are a number of us in our late 20's in
our local club, there aren't any high schoolers.  But then again, me and my
friends were the only high schoolers in the club back then.