Re: Hobby in decline?

To: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Subject: Re: Hobby in decline?
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 17:22:54 -0400
At 03:16 PM 9/3/02, Rick Lindsay wrote:
>   Mike, this note is in no way a flame or slap.  I hope it is a
>revelation to some of the guys who always admired the cars
>but ASSUMED that they needed to be millionaires to own
>them.  It IS possible.  Ask yourself what you could buy for
>$25k that would hold its value.  Then ask yourself if you would
>rather have a Ferrari that you could turn around and get your
>money out of within a month...

Agreed.  One of my best friends lived in New Orleans for 9 years or
so.  They bought a used Rolls Royce Silver Cloud (I think it was) for $19
thousand, used to go to the supermarket with it, etc.  People think my '78B
is more exotic than a Z3, yet I bought it for $4000 (have since put a lot
into the engine and stuff, but not into the body).  You can pay $40,000 for
a Beamer (or more!) and you still won't get the same kind of appreciation
and comments.

I believe in having a "real" car - ah, that comment'll probably get me in
trouble - I mean a more modern car, like my Saab, for winters up here,
obviously, and for trips where the MG isn't practical, but for a "second"
car (even though the MG is my primary driver during the non-winter months)
I'll buy a classic any day.

- Tab