Re: Cheap Tools

To: Chris Thompson <ct-mg@cthompson.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cheap Tools
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 12:32:52 -0700
A while back I realized that I had never had buyers remorse over good
tools.

When is it OK to buy cheap tools?

For one, I tend to buy cheap everything in one box for under $60 sets
to carry as "oh shit kits" in my car. If it gets ripped off, I'm not
out any real money. On the other hand, the tools will usually last
long enough to effect a side of the road repair, and I don't have to
worry about whether my cars are in my garage, my MG, my Van ...

Another time that it's OK to buy cheap tools is when Sears is having
a particularly good sale on craftsman. Back in college, I used a
friends snap-on tools and was instantly spoiled by them. Craftsman may
still have the warranty, but their quality went out the window in the
'80s, and I just don't want to have to deal with a busted wrench at
midnight the night before a race.

I actually prefer S-K to snap-on. MAC is also good, but doesn't quite
have the feel I like in Snap-on and S-K.

Another time that it's OK to get cheap tools is when you are only
going to use an expensive tool about once a year (like an engine
hoist) rather than every week. In that case, you can probably get by
with the $200 hoist rather than the $800 hoist. If you are a
professional and use the tool a lot, then invest in one that'll last,
but if you're only going to use it 6 times in the course of owning it,
you'd be better to spend the difference on better tools that you use
every day.

This is why I may give craftsman tools as gifts to non-mechanically
inclined friends, who need a set of wrenches for the occasional job.

   lrc

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.