Re: Cheap Tools

To: Chris Thompson <ct-mg@cthompson.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cheap Tools
From: Carl French <leylandauto@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 10:58:41 -0700 (PDT)
I have both kinds of tools. My sockets and wrenches are Craftsman tools and
have been excellant. My 1/2 drive wrench broke and was promplty and politely
replaced. I have a cheap set of bigger open end wrenches because I may use one
wrench one time and I could not justify spending the large money needed and I
nneded the tool NOW for a job and could not drive to a good tool place. That
being said I also have an 18v drill that I got for $39 from Harbor Freight
about 4 years ago. It has gotten me through one engine rebuild and the
restoration of three cars along with anything needed at home. It has served as
well as the occasional hammer as it has as a drill. I cannot kill the thing and
have since bought some more 'yellow' tools for occasional use. Including a ten
dollar angle grinder which for the amount of body work I do, it works fine. If
I depended on the tools everyday I would buy my power tools of the blue, red,
or green variety.
My $.02 worth
Carl

But, am I crazy here? When are cheap tools OK? I could have bought ten of
these angle grinders and tossed them when they broke before I spent as much
as the grinder at HD.