Re: Still working on the rear springs

To: Steve Shoyer <Steve@shoyer.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Still working on the rear springs
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:39:02 -0700 (PDT)
Steve Shoyer <Steve@shoyer.com> wrote:  I've gotten the U-bolts off, and now
I'm working on the front bolts.  The nots are off on both sides. One bolt turns
but will not skid out  (yes, I've hit it with a hammer, repeatedly). The other
side is rusted  in place and won't turn. Both sides have gotten B'Laster for a
couple  of weeks now. I tried the torch, but mostly got smoke from the
bushings. I also tried a reciprocating saw, but can't quite get it in  place
without snapping the blade on the rear of the mounting point. The  saw is
blocked by the jack stand holding up the car at other angles.

Any other suggestions?  I'm not looking forward to the rear shackles, as
there's even less room to work there.

Steve,  do you have a Dremel or other rotary-type tool? I have had success with
 stuck bolts by either grinding out a slot in the head for a  screwdriver, or
by simply cutting away the bolt. The blades are thin  enough that they fit in
almost any space. You just need to make sure  you have a good supply of blades,
as the wear down pretty quickly.....

Dan D
The Garden State
'76 MGB Tourer - Driver - "On the Road Again....!"
'65 MGB Tourer Project - Yep, still is....
'04 Audi A4 1.8T q MT-6 - quattro, baby!
NAMGBR #5-2328