Re: Still working on the rear springs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Still working on the rear springs
From: Marc <smarc@smarc.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:35:56 -0400
Steve,

Take the shoe off the sawzall, and use the shortest metal cutting blade
(3" - 4"). Then you can hold the sawzall just to the rear of front bolt,
and angle up slightly (towards 11:00 position). Cut downwards at that
angle. If you hold the sawzall back just enough that the blade doesn't
contact the spring mount, you will have success! The saw might jump
around a little and bend the blade, just straighten it out and go back
in! You will need to cut both sides of the bolt obviously...  A little
cutting oil will help immensely...

I've done several cars this way over the past few years, and it works
very well.

Marc

Steve Shoyer wrote:
> I've gotten the U-bolts off, and now I'm working on the front bolts.  The
>nots are off on both sides.  One bolt turns but will not skid out (yes, I've
>hit it with a hammer, repeatedly).  The other side is rusted in place and
>won't turn.  Both sides have gotten B'Laster for a couple of weeks now.  I
>tried the torch, but mostly got smoke from the bushings.  I also tried a
>reciprocating saw, but can't quite get it in place without snapping the blade
>on the rear of the mounting point.  The saw is blocked by the jack stand
>holding up the car at other angles.
>
> Any other suggestions?  I'm not looking forward to the rear shackles, as
>there's even less room to work there.
>
> --Steve (1980 MGB)

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/x-pkcs7-signature which
had a name of smime.p7s]