Re: Halogen headlamps

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Halogen headlamps
From: Art Hart <arthart@bell-labs.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 09:01:02 -0800
Lannis,

You got the story from Greg on the Lucas generator.  Being a disciple of
Fred Sisson, I read in his "Morgan Bedside Reader" about the wimpy Lucas
generator and it's cost and immediately converted to a GM alternator per
his instructions when I first purchased my +4 last year.  My battery
loves the alternator and doesn't mind the increased current load of high
wattage halogen head and driving lamps and other accessories.

The secondary issue is authenticity.  I am not particularly concerned
about authenticity with this car and have made innumerable modifications
and "improvements" because I enjoy doing that after years of adhering to
original standards with my brass-era (pre-1916) cars.

Lee Blake's note on using the relay before the dimmer switch is an
easier and neater solution for high amperage headlamps, but I didn't
dare trust even a dimmer switch made by Lucas to the increased current.

Art