Re: Tool for a loved one

To: <bergman@oldihc.org>, <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Tool for a loved one
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 10:56:17 -0800
>>> Roger Gibbs <rgibbs@pacbell.net> 11/27/1999 12:48:19 PM >>>
>
> BTW, I doubt very much that the military would be procurring anything
> from a moreign country (unless of reivial momentary value).  Federal
> regulations require (in general) domestic procurements. "Surplus" stores
> are probably obtaining their stock from a variety of sources.

As a side point;  A few years back, I worked on a project installing ICBM's in
missile silos (can you say Peacekeeper, a.k.a. "MX"?).

As told to me by several trusted authorities on the project (I believe it to be
true, but who knows for sure): One of the funny problems that came up with
the project was with the design of the transporter that carried the missiles
out
into the field.  The trailer was made by a sub contractor that manufactured
semi-truck trailers as it's business.  One of the big, industrial bearing
assemblies
used in the trailer was made in a communist (Russian controlled) country.

They had to redesign (maybe just re-procure ?) the part to use an American
(at least non-communist) made bearing instead.  Keep in mind, the transporter
had nothing to do with the operation of the missile system, it was just the
thing
that carried it to the site to be installed...

Tim Mullen