Re: Tool for a loved one

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tool for a loved one
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 22:13:11 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Dave Williams wrote:

>  Sears don't *make* tools.  They periodically put a contract out for low
> bidder.  Quality continues to decline.
>
>  Their power tools are even worse - hardly any two drills or saws are
> alike from year to year.  I recently threw away a box full of Craftsman
> drills which had no interchangeable parts; replacement parts from Sears
> cost about the same as new drills.

ah, this would explain many things...  the repeated changes to the tool
lines, the worsening quality, and the pamphlet I got from them, showing
all the places that 'craftsman' stuff was made "right here in the u.s. of
a.", and the proud people that made them.  showed tool boxes, and lots of
other stuff, but not the hand tools.  I thought it was strange at the
time--weren't the foundry workers proud of their tools, too?  guess sears
wasn't sure who was actually making the tools then...

scott