Re: Bleeding the Clutch

To: Craig Smith <CraigS@iewc.com>
Subject: Re: Bleeding the Clutch
From: Dave Mack <davemack@rhiwderin.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 21:52:13 +0000
Craig Smith wrote:

> Does it fit in line or is it something that fits over the top of the
> clutch master ?

I never was much good at art Craig, but the idea is as below. Pipe 'A'
is connected to the spare tyre. The sealed Pressure Bottle is part
filled with brake fluid, so that air pressure from the tyre forces the
brake fluid out from the pressure bottle into pipe 'B'. A variety of
spare master cylinder caps are provided which have a hole in the cap and
pipe 'B' has a fliud-tight fitting to the cap, so that the brake fluid
is forced into the master cylinder under pressure, and from there
through the clutch system. All you have to do is open the bleed value
(or valves if you're doing the brakes) and let the fluid flow out until
it's free of air bubbles. You do have to watch that the connections are
all completely fluid tight. Also take care not to spill fluid when you
disconnect it. Other than than it's the proverbial piece of cake.

A                     B
*********    ********************
        *    *                  *
        *    *                  *
      OO*OOOO*OO              OO*OOO
      O *    * 0              0 *  0
       !*    *!               0    0
      / *    *\               0    0
     /       * \           MASTER  CYLINDER
    /        *  \
    I        *  I
    I        *  I
    I        *  I
    I        *  I
    I        *  I
    L...........I
   PRESSURE BOTTLE

I had a look on the web, but couldn't find a Gunsons site. However there
is a supplier at
http://www.mossmotors.com/britishaccessories/tuningandmaintenance/ek.html
that might be of interest to you. On reflection it's probably not wise
to try and make your own, you don't want a home-made pressure bottle
bursting when it's full of fluid!

As I said I've used an easy bleed for years, and can recommend it.
Before anyone asks, I don't work for Gunsons, honest!
--
Dave Mack

http://www.rhiwderin.demon.co.uk

"Be it ever so humble..."