Re: Flushing out a Gas Tank

To: "Flinthoof Ponypal" <Flinters@picarefy.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Flushing out a Gas Tank
From: "Bruce Hestand" <hestand@ultranet.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 21:38:49 -0400
Thank you all,

I finally got the sending unit out tonight.  Tried to get a brass "drift"
(is this the same as a pin punch?) at Sears since someone raised the
sparks-around-gas issue.  No dice, no time to look around so I just used the
cut off end of a graphite golf club shaft.  Nice and soft, didn't damage
anything, a couple of light taps and whatever you call that thing spun 60
degrees or so and came off just fine.

When I took the sending unit out there appeared to be two washers.  A large
(approx. 3" diameter) black rubber type washer sealing the sending unit to
the tank.  There was also a 2nd smaller (1 1/2" dia.) washer orange-ish
washer which was loose on the wire connecting the float and the unit.  Does
anybody know what this second washer is, and where it is supposed to go?

Dan, the outside of the tank is flawless so I wasn't intending to paint it
but thanks for the thought.

Thanks again
Bruce
'80 Spit (thinking about calling it "bleep" since that's closest to what I
called it while it was a daily driver)