Re: Flushing out a Gas Tank

To: "Bruce Hestand" <hestand@ultranet.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flushing out a Gas Tank
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 06:26:59 -0700
 There was also a 2nd smaller (1 1/2" dia.) washer orange-ish
>washer which was loose on the wire connecting the float and the unit.  Does
>anybody know what this second washer is, and where it is supposed to go?
Yep, that washer goes around the float itself, and acts as a cushion to
prevent the float from banging the tank in it's full and empty conditions.
I just went through this, and on mine it was still on the old (half full of
fuel) float.  The o-ring wouldn't fit correctly on the new float (it was
too loose) so I left it off figuring that I would be better off not having
it installed at all, rather than risk it falling off and clogging the
inlet.  I noticed that when full, with the new float and NO o-ring, I could
here the float tapping the top of the tank.  Something that I never heard
before-