Re: Question from a new owner

To: "Kaufman, Bob" <bkaufman@laquinta.com>,
Subject: Re: Question from a new owner
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 23:18:43 -0500
Bob Kaufman asked:

> Another question for you:  Has anyone installed a oil pressure gauge
and/or
> a voltage gauge in their Spit?  If so, where did you put them?  I was
> thinking about installing them where the radio is now.  Any thoughts?

I moved my headlight switch to the left of the steering wheel and installed
a (matching) Smith's voltmeter in the center between the temp and fuel gages
(same as the picture Eric Kieboom linked to in his recent post); looks great
& factory original (if you're a non-Spitter).

I also have a Stewart-Warner temp/volt/oil Mini-Gage unit (electric gages /
still available for around $35-40, I think, from the Jag outfit that
specializes in Smith's - and other - gages) mounted neatly & snugly in the
ash-tray cut-out atop the dash.  Looks less than okay, but is easy to scan
and doesn't obstruct forward vision.  Does not look factory original (but
ISTR seeing somewhere that some of the competition GT-6's used to have a
gage-panel mounted in the ash-tray hole).

If I could find a precisely matching Smith's electric oil pressure gage, I'd
put it in the center wood panel, moving the fuel gage over to the passenger
side (the fuel gage is the only one my passenger understands anyway), and
then pull out the S-W mini-gages.

Cheers,  Ree G. in Silver Spring, MD  -  78 Spit  FM73070U O