Re: 1500 Venting

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: 1500 Venting
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 22:16:24 -0500
Joe Curry wrote:
> What the hell is wrong with you?  Apparently, you either can't read or don't
> comprehend what I am saying.
>
> The emissions gear that is removed consists mainly of a lump of steel called
> an "air pump" weighing a whole hell of a lot more than the plastic radiator
> catch bottle that I am using as a catch tank.

  The air pump is in no way related to the crankcase ventilation
system that we are talking about here.

  More to the point, removing the air pump in no way requires
you to start thinking about jars and fabricating vent pipes
onto fuel pump blanking plates.

  Frankly, the air pump costs horsepower. I don't advocate
removing it, but I can understand why somebody would. It's heavy,
it's in the way, it costs horsepower and fuel economy
and so on. My personal 1500 came with no air pump and I
haven't spent any time trying to replace it.

  However, a working vent system costs no horsepower,
is incredible simple, is both clean for the air and
clean for your driveway and underbody.

  It bothers me when, instead of reading a manual for
a half hour and understanding the vent system, people just
say "bah emissions!" and then rip it all off, and wonder
why their dipstick leaks and their driveway turns brown
when they idle the car. Then they do all this driveway
engineering with blanking plates and jars to try to
solve their problems.

> I will provide whatever knowledge I have gained from personal experience to
> those who choose to.

  A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Some of your
statements are misleading at best, or more to the point,
just plain wrong.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca