Re: 1500 Venting

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1500 Venting
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 22:18:05 -0500 (EST)
Trevor "The expert" wrote:

" The air pump is in no way related to the crankcase ventilation
system that we are talking about here.

More to the point, removing the air pump in no way requires
you to start thinking about jars and fabricating vent pipes
onto fuel pump blanking plates.

Frankly, the air pump costs horsepower. I don't advocate
removing it, but I can understand why somebody would. It's heavy,
it's in the way, it costs horsepower and fuel economy
and so on. My personal 1500 came with no air pump and I
haven't spent any time trying to replace it.

However, a working vent system costs no horsepower,
is incredible simple, is both clean for the air and
clean for your driveway and underbody.

It bothers me when, instead of reading a manual for
a half hour and understanding the vent system, people just
say "bah emissions!" and then rip it all off, and wonder
why their dipstick leaks and their driveway turns brown
when they idle the car. Then they do all this driveway
engineering with blanking plates and jars to try to
solve their problems.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Some of your
statements are misleading at best, or more to the point,
just plain wrong."

Oops, I forgot that I was talking to an ENGINEER!  I never met one yet who
thought they could possibly be wrong!

You can make all the statements you want but it doesn't change the fact that
what I have done corrects the problem.  That is my final word on the
subject.  But I will wager it is not yours!!!

Joe