Re: 1500 Venting

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: 1500 Venting
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:20:15 -0500
Bull.... Trevor. I just have to wade into this, probably since I started the
whole thing off. The discussion is not over what is right or wrong, emission
wise, but what is the best solution to fix a problem with a given configuration.

The whole issue centres around the use of the Weber DGV (and as Joe pointed out
the DCOE). It does not have the same vacuum port as in the standard carb, the
ZS. It has only one vacuum attachment and that is used for the distributor. This
port leads into the throat just after the throttle plate and the opening is very
small, just a few thou, at the most a 1/16". It could never be used to vent the
crankcase.

The ZS has a much bigger vacuum port and it draws a significant vacuum under
higher RPMs. That level of vacuum appears to be needed to relieve the crankcase
pressure. Just try removing the hose from the valve cover and run  like that for
a while. I will guarantee that you will get the same problem, oil pumping out
the dip stick.

So the air flow is significant enough, far more than the DGV can pull in through
the air filter connection. In fact, it really has next to nothing in the way of
vacuum at this point.

Joe is right and he is wrong. Right in the belief that his "fix" works because
he is directly venting the crankcase, avoiding the valve cover as the air flow
somehow is restricted from the crankcase into the valve cover. He is also wrong
in the fact that the air pump does not come into play here. AFIK, there is no
link between the air pump and the crankcase. It just pumps fresh air directly
into the exhaust ports.

Since there doesn't seem to be a way to increase the vacuum on the DGV, and my
examination of same shows that there is no place where one ever existed (in some
other application), the catch can is a good solution, vented directly to the
crankcase, and the valve cover, with a tube to the air filter connection to
catch the vapors.

Vic Whitmore

--
Vic Whitmore