Re: 1500 Venting

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1500 Venting
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 00:46:55 -0500 (EST)
Trevor Boicey wrote:

> Vic Whitmore wrote:
> > The whole issue centres around the use of the Weber DGV (and as Joe
pointed out
> > the DCOE). It does not have the same vacuum port as in the standard
carb, the
> > ZS. It has only one vacuum attachment and that is used for the
distributor.

>   Agreed, you cannot use ported vacuum for this job for
> the reasons you talk about. However, there are other sources of
> vacuum to be had.
>
>   Have you checked the manifold?
>
>   I have done this exact job on two DCOE webers, and both
> had extra ports on the manifold available to be used. It
> seems these manifolds are sort of "generic" so they
> come with blocked off ports that you can use in
> certain applications and ignore in others.
>
>   I had a Dellorto DCOE clone for A-series Midgets, here's a picture:
>
> http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/mgparts/pics/midget_dellorto_carb_1.jpg
>
>   ...there is a capped port on the manifold, visible on the left
> side of the picture. It's a simple matter of unscrewing
> the blanking plate, and screwing in a vacuum tap from your
> local PEP boys.
>
>   I don't have pictures, but I did a similar job on a DCOE
> for a friends MGB. That manifold already had a vacuum port
> actually, it was capped off with a rubber seal that just
> needed to be cut open and removed.
>
>   The UK spec dual-SU manifold also has a plugged port:
>
> http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/midget/pics/midget_overdrive_day_five_5.jpg
>
>   In these applications, I would usually plumb in a $5 PCV
> valve instead of a restrictor. It gives an extra safety
> margin, because the manifold vacuum can get so high at cruise
> and idle, and this way it will only flow air when the
> crankcase pressure is above ambient air pressure.

And you knock me for "Jury Rigging"!!!!!  Oh I forgot, in your case it is
"Engineering"!

> > Just try removing the hose from the valve cover and run  like that for
> > a while. I will guarantee that you will get the same problem, oil
pumping out
> > the dip stick.
>
>   I'll happily take that bet. With the crank open through
> the valve cover, no pressure will build to pop out the
> dipstick.

This is exactly the situation that caused me to seek a better solution.  I
had a vented oil cap and
the valve cover was open to the atmosphere and
still the oil poured out.  Trevor, that is one bet you will surely lose!!!

Joe