Re: 1500 Venting

To: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Subject: Re: 1500 Venting
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 00:37:22 -0500
Vic Whitmore wrote:
> The whole issue centres around the use of the Weber DGV (and as Joe pointed
>out
> the DCOE). It does not have the same vacuum port as in the standard carb, the
> ZS. It has only one vacuum attachment and that is used for the distributor.

  Agreed, you cannot use ported vacuum for this job for
the reasons you talk about. However, there are other sources of
vacuum to be had.

  Have you checked the manifold?

  I have done this exact job on two DCOE webers, and both
had extra ports on the manifold available to be used. It
seems these manifolds are sort of "generic" so they
come with blocked off ports that you can use in
certain applications and ignore in others.

  I had a Dellorto DCOE clone for A-series Midgets, here's a picture:

http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/mgparts/pics/midget_dellorto_carb_1.jpg

  ...there is a capped port on the manifold, visible on the left
side of the picture. It's a simple matter of unscrewing
the blanking plate, and screwing in a vacuum tap from your
local PEP boys.

  I don't have pictures, but I did a similar job on a DCOE
for a friends MGB. That manifold already had a vacuum port
actually, it was capped off with a rubber seal that just
needed to be cut open and removed.

  The UK spec dual-SU manifold also has a plugged port:

http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/midget/pics/midget_overdrive_day_five_5.jpg

  In these applications, I would usually plumb in a $5 PCV
valve instead of a restrictor. It gives an extra safety
margin, because the manifold vacuum can get so high at cruise
and idle, and this way it will only flow air when the
crankcase pressure is above ambient air pressure.

> Just try removing the hose from the valve cover and run  like that for
> a while. I will guarantee that you will get the same problem, oil pumping out
> the dip stick.

  I'll happily take that bet. With the crank open through
the valve cover, no pressure will build to pop out the
dipstick.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca