Re: Funky D-type O/D, P. II

To: "Richard Gosling" <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>,
Subject: Re: Funky D-type O/D, P. II
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 13:30:32 -0800
Richard, all,

I checked the fluid levels in the gearbox and they're fine.  Turns out I'm
using 80/90 weight, hypoid, which I hope is okay.  Maybe not.

The electrics all work fine and the solenoid reacts instantly with a good,
solid click when O/D is engaged, but the O/D unit is not engaging fully or is
otherwise slipping under load.  I went out on the freeway and noticed that
while there is some RPM drop with O/D engaged, it is inconsistent and maybe
500 RPM lower at best.  Under even light to moderate acceleration, I can hear
the engine revs increase disproportionately, then settle back down when I all
but lift my foot from the pedal.

So it's working, but slipping under load.  What should I check next?  And will
I be able to do it from under the car?  Or will I need to remove the interior
trans cover?  Thanks.

By the way, Reuters is reporting today that Saddam Hussein is slated to star
in an Iraqi version of "Weekend At Bernie's", filmed on location on the French
Riviera.  Check out the story and photo on this website:

http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/bignews.shtml

Jeff