Re: Chromework and rechroming

To: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chromework and rechroming
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:59:40 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>

> Now here is the interesting bit - Canley do the whole lot for 319 pounds
> total. Now assuming postage will be a bit hefty - thats still over 100
> pounds cheaper. Interestingly the LH rear bumper is described as being
> "STANPART RECHROMED" - so I bet I could probably sell my old ones back to
> them in some sort of exchange.
>
> So, why would I bother rechroming my old ones?

Hi James,
    Sorry for the delayed response on this one but I've been on holiday.
Historically, reproduction chromed parts are mass produced from thin steel of
poor quality with nothing more than a thin flash of chrome, all of it usually
done in the far east. Maybe that's a hideous generalisation, but it's certainly
been my experience of the commonly available parts for MGBs and many of the
popular Triumphs. Having said this, I know that Canley's bumpers (where
non-original) are mostly handmade in the UK. Early Spitfire bumpers have not
been reproduced by any of the bigger suppliers, so the chances are the product
will be of good quality.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--