RE: Left Lane Cruiser!

To: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Subject: RE: Left Lane Cruiser!
From: Les Myer <lmyer@qtm.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 18:06:32 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I don't think there is any argument here - we just like what we have!

I was doing a little reading in Horler's book on the 1500 Midget engine.
Seems that there was different horsepower outputs, depending on the year
and where it was sold.  In general, he states that "the 1500 offered better
accelleration and a higher top speed, despite its greater weight and
imperfect gearing, but fuel consumption was markedly inferior".  He reports
horsepower ranged from 50bhp in the most strangulated North American
configuration up to 65bhp for the home market.  Given that the 1275 was
65bhp, I can see how the home market 1500 with lower gear ratio could have
a higher top end, but have a hard time believing that the 50hp version
would pull 105mph.  Maybe we are talking about different 1500 Midgets here.
 Frank Clarici talking about 50hp Midgets not making it above 95mph and
others talking about the 65hp 1500s making it to 105.

Now that I've finally got my pickup back together, I can start work again
on my port fuel injected 2800cc V-6 77 Midget with 5-speed OD (I call it a
Camidget).  I finally have collected all the major parts.

ps I'm hoping to beat 105 mph in it!  Frank C. doesn't think I will be able
to see where I'm going, though.

Les