Re: webers and webers

To: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: webers and webers
From: rrengineer@dslextreme.com
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 05:18:25 -0700 (PDT)
As a Harley Davidson owner with an original "carb" bike I thought I ought
to chime in.  The carb on a Harley Davidson is quite hidden behind the
large air cleaner casing.  The only part of the carb noticeable is the top
cover, which Harley Davidson makes in a black crinkle finish from the
factory.  They also sell a chrome replacement for this cover.  The real
reason that the FI is removed from some bikes is that a large carb such as
the S&S Super E is infinitely adjustable when you are changing cams,
increasing cubic inches, replacing types and flow of your exhaust in the
pursuit of more performance.  Not to mention that great sound the intake
of a large carb makes.  If you are going to keep your motor stock, then
the FI is superior to the carb and you can actually make adjustments
through a laptop by re-mapping it.  So some performance adjustments can be
made, but not like a carb bike.  The carb is easier for the backyard
mechanic to fool around with and adjust too.  Besides, "real" Harleys have
carbs, not fuel injection.  A lot of the changes HD makes to the bikes are
mandated by new air quality and EPA regulations.  The first thing new
Harley Davidson owners do is replace the exhaust and mess with the carb
and cams.  My 2002 Harley had catalytic converters in the two mufflers,
choking the performance and the great Harley Davidson sound off.  They
have been in a box in the garage since 2002.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2
02 Harley Davidson Heritage Springer