Re: Tigers United XXIII Results

To: RSpontelli@aol.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tigers United XXIII Results
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 23:57:53 EDT
Ramon, Norm et al,
I've also been curious as to what a "stock" Tiger is as far as autocrossing
goes. I ran my Tiger quite a bit up to about 4 years ago, and much grumbling
was heard from a number of guys because my low-po 302 was "responsible" for
running the fastest times. Mind you, these were the same bunch running hi-po
289's, quick racks etc. I am the first to admit that my car is far from stock,
but where do you draw the line?
If a Tiger was to be run as truly stock, you could forget about any LAT
options. The reason for this is that none of the major sanctioning bodies have
ever accepted the LAT stuff as homologated. If you don't believe me, look at
an SCCA autocross rule book. This leaves you with a 164bhp two barrel motor
(unless of course you start with a MkII), 4.5" steel wheels, no limited slip
diff and 2:88 gears. You could still bolt on some shocks and mess with
alignment, but that's about it. Now, the problem would be that the stock steel
wheels are not safe for severe duty use, as you would run a real chance of
pulling a lug nut through the bolt hole!
Having said all that, I would also suggest that if a club autocross were to be
run with the literal interpretation of the rules in the "stock" class, the
same guys (Terry, Stan, John Peterson, Dan Walters etc.) would still beat
everyone by a decent margin!
I guess the bottom line is that a stock Tiger is just a matter of social
agreement.

Mike Wood
B382002273