Re: Fuel Efficiency

To: Chris.S.Mottram@ecc.com
Subject: Re: Fuel Efficiency
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 19:45:02 -0400
At 10:55 PM 9/3/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Chris S. Mottram@ECCI
>09/03/98 10:55 PM
>
>My new Mk1a get 11 miles per gallon on the interstate at about 65-70 mph.
>This seems low to me.  It has a Carter AFB 650 carb that I have not figured
>out how to open the secondaries.  It also have a mild cam.  What is
>"normal".

Chris,
        When my Tiger II had the original motor in it I got 23 mpg in
steady 70 mph driving and 17-19 in town.  With the present 351C I get 19
mpg on the highway and 13 to 14 in town.  I have a 650 double pumper
holly on the 4 barrel 351C.  When I had a Boss 302 in the Tiger, I
got 9 miles to the gallon with a 750 double pumper on it.  On my
Alpine with a 2.8 L Caprii V6 and original 2 barrel carb and automatic
I now get 18 mpg in town.  Previously it was getting 12.  Turned out
there was a bad gasket and a leaking power valve that was causing the
motor to run way too rich.  I would guess that you are running
way too rich or you have a bad cylinder and are running on all 7.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others