Re: Fuel Efficiency

To: CoolVT@aol.com, alcon@earthlink.net, Chris.S.Mottram@ecc.com,
Subject: Re: Fuel Efficiency
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 16:52:17 -0700
Mark,

A stock, or near-stock Tiger with 2.88s will get 25 mpg or even a little
better on the highway at 70-80 mph. It goes down from there depending on
just about everything. I still remember the Laifman's post about a year or
so ago about what his father had told him in this regard. Something to the
effect; "Show me a man who knows his gas mileage and I'll show you a
failure." I think that was probably one of the smartest bits of wisdom I've
heard come from that quarter.

Bob

At 05:33 PM 9/5/98 -0400, CoolVT@aol.com wrote:
>Allan,
>  If I go back to the 60's and think of a 273 HO with a 4 barrel I had in a
>Barracuda I   remember that it could get 17 MPG on the highway as long as it
>wasn't horsed.  I think the Barracuda must have weighed close to 500 lbs.
more
>than a Tiger.  I believe the horsepower was 239.
>  Now I've always considered Ford products as the worse of the big three for
>mileage, but I would think that a mild 289 or 302 should do better than 11-12
>MPG on the highway.  .  Am I crazy or what?     Mark L.

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com