RE: LAT70 Tire Recommendations

To: "'DrMayf'" <drmayf@teknett.com>, "Ray Johnson" <rnrbj@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: LAT70 Tire Recommendations
From: "Palmer, Robert L." <RPalmer@brobeck.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:08:12 -0700
Mayf,

So, you want us to provide some evidence for our opinion eh? Well, every
tire manufacturer publishes minimum recommended rim widths for each tire.
Why would they do this? I'm sure we can agree that at some point, a tire
could be too big for the rim for safety reasons, right? I suspect that the
fine print in the paperwork when you buy tires includes a disclaimer if you
mount them on undersize rims. One rule of thumb I have seen is 1.3 times the
rim width in millimeters (25.4 times width in inches). For a 5.5" rim,
that's 182 or let's round up to 185. And that's the biggest recommended
size. Here's a link to a chart that gives minimum rim widths for various
tire sizes, along with other info. Go down to the section titled "Fitting
different or larger wheels or tyres" and click on the "Here is a chart"
link. (You'll need the text to interpret the chart.)

I learned the hard way the problem with mounting tires too big. I survived,
but you will see that now I use the biggest rim I can find to fit the tire,
not the other way around.

Bob